Ornate Bank Doors
The United States National Bank building in Portland, Oregon was designed by the prolific architect A. E. Doyle in the classical Roman style. Construction of the bank was started in 1916, finished and opened in 1917. Eight years later, in 1925, the bank was extended and doubled in size to occupy half of the block (Doyle was hired for the expansion). It has been in continuous use for over 100 years and now serves as the main branch of U.S. Bank.
The bronze relief panels were designed by Avard Fairbanks and cast in 1931 to replace the original door panels. The relief panels depict concepts such as 'Domestic Welfare', 'Progress Through Direction' and 'Growth Through the Will'. The glazed terracotta surrounding the door offers depictions of early Greek, Roman and U.S. coins.
Portland, Oregon USA